How many oceans are there? You might say four or five, or you might
say seven. In fact, there is one tremendous global ocean which is
categorized into regions or "sub oceans". The Pacific
Ocean is the largest, containing more than half of the world's water.
Oceans cover 70% of the earth's surface and hold 97% of the water
on our planet Earth.Of the remaining water, less than 1% is fresh.
On average, it is estimated that there are 25,000 species of fish
in the oceans! The largest animal is the blue whale which grows
to more than 100 feet and weighs the equivalent of 50 full-grown
One of the more recent, and fascinating discoveries was the finding
of life in thermal vents, fractures in the ocean floor. This demonstrated
that light was not necessary for life to exist.
- Students will learn some basic principles about oceans.
- Students will be taken to various Web sites where they can research
various types of information about oceans.
- Students will be introduced to an assortment of sea life, both
plant and animal.
- What percentage of the earth is ocean?
- How many species of fish exist?
- Are oceans getting higher or lower?
- Which ocean is the largest?
- What makes the ocean salty?